(Better late than never …. So pretend it’s still yesterday, okay?)
Top Ten Tuesday is a meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish (over here). This week’s topic is the Top Ten Words/Topics That Will Make You NOT pick up a book. I don’t have particular key words, really, but I definitely have topics that I typically don’t gravitate towards:
- Books that dwell on tragedy. (I avoid Nicholas Sparks and Jodi Picoult like the PLAGUE).
- Nonfiction. Often I really want to like nonfiction in general, but usually don’t make it through.
- Horror / Scary stuff. I usually avoid this quite fastidiously, but I have read some Dean Koontz that was gripping and mostly enjoyable. Though I haven’t brought myself to pick up anything else by him, so perhaps that is telling.
- Vampires / supernatural (I like the True Blood series but generally I’m not very interested in these undead creatures. However, I LOVED the Soulless series so maybe I’m changing my mind. Also this does not include fantasy or fantastical creatures, which I view as entirely different).
- Foolish / irresponsible life choices (especially when it seems doubtful that lessons are really learned. I’m thinking the Shopaholic books here).
- Some historical fiction. (It’s funny because I LOVE some historical fiction, but hate other historical fiction. I’m not even sure if I’m consistent on which eras that I enjoy. It might depend on having other redeeming factors).
- Erotica. I won’t be reading Fifty Shades of Grey thank-you very much.
- Books where there are either no lead female characters, or all female characters are weak / shallow /stupid / just waiting for a man.
- SAD BOOKS.