I’ve had this book on my kobo for a while and finally got around to reading it. Frankly, I don’t even remember where/when I got it, but it seemed intriguing. I actually started “Cloud Atlas” this morning but realized that it was too long for me to get through in a day, and it’s a library book so I have to return it in a few days. So I decided to abandon “Cloud Atlas” (for now – I’ll borrow it again when I have more time) and try out the Iron Butterfly. I was rewarded as it was SO GOOD!!! Chandra Hahn has written several other books and I shall definitely look into them!
The story revolves around Thalia, a 17ish year old girl who has no memories of her past. The opening of the story is admittedly not happy – Thalia is held captive by the mysterious Septori who appear to be experimenting on humans and a race called the Denai (human-like beings who seem to have special powers). Thalia escapes with the reluctant help of another prisoner and ends up meeting some Denai who tend to her wounds and bring her to the Citadel. The Citadel is a Denai stronghold and school. There, Thalia struggles to figure out who she is, come to terms with her new power, and stay alive. The Septori are determined to get her back, alive or dead.
I couldn’t put the book down – the story was fast and gripping. Thalia had been through so much, but I admired her fiery personality and determination .
What I liked:
– Strong female character! (Yay!)
– Hint of romance
– The mystery of her past and of the Septori
– The Denai – I get the impression that they were kind of like angels, kicked out of heaven.
– It was super cheap through the Kobo store haha!
– There’s a sequel!
What I didn’t like:
– The implications of some really horrible torture
– I left with SO many questions! (Upside: there is a sequel out already. Downside: the third book is not yet released. Upside: Book #3 apparently comes out in 2013 so… at MOST 9 months to wait).
Overall though, I would definitely recommend it!! I rate this a 4/5! I’m going to read the sequel as soon as I have time!